Weekend of Warmachine & Hordes!

My Circle of Orboros, preparing to charge.
This past weekend kicked off the first weekend of this year's Paul's Basement League series of Warmachine and Hordes. We started with 15 points and played introductory games. For many of the players it was their first real experience with this Privateer Press system.

I used the list I posted here, and was very happy with the performance. The teleportation given with the Shifting Stones and through Laris's Spirit Shift gave me all the mobility I was looking for. That combined with the Pureblood's ghostly made for some opponent surprises. This 15 point list also gave me 3 spray attacks and a medium AoE while not really detracting from my ability to bite.

I played 3 games including 1 against Kreoss and 2 against Kara Sloan. The Menoth battle was all about positioning. I told my opponent Jon that I was just fighting his caster and not his army. With his Cinerators and 3 jacks, I would have had to play a drawn out attrition battle. Instead I capatilized on his low model count not being able to close all the charge lanes.

My second game, against JoeyV's Cygnar was just unfair. He was using Kara Sloan and trying to gun-line it (I warned him honestly about the likely outcome.) With the majority of my army in stealth, I was able to take out his Hunter 'jack in one charge and get into position for an assassination on Kara. He was able to do very little.

Like a valiant opponent, he asked for a rematch. As it was a get to know the rules day, I gladly let him make his list changes, dropping his long gunners for Black 13 and Reinholt. For great fun we did play out my next turn to test for frenzies. Sure enough the Pureblood frenzied, attacked Kaya and slayed her with a damage roll of 6-5-4 and was dice plus 4 at the time. It was epic and major fun. Dan did take video of that last turn, so I'm sure that will turn up around here at some point.

Joey V's Cygnar prepare to fire!

What a difference. This game saw my Pureblood Warpwolf get taken down after a Fire Beacon from Black 13 followed by Kara's reloaded rifle and the Hunter's Long Arm with armor piercing. I played out the rest of the game without my only heavy. It was such an exciting game though because I managed to finish off the rest of his army with precision strikes and eventually got Kara to within a few wounds when she daringly risked a free strike to get out and blast me away with her Spitfire.

All in all it was a great way to start the new season. I can't wait till next month when the brackets start and everyone REALLY play's like they've got a pair!

No comments:

Post a Comment