When Winning is Weak

I have an admission to make. I won a game this past weekend. It was weak. It was unsatisfying and hollow. Let me set the stage for you. We had our 3rd PBL event of the season. We had moved up to 25 points and were playing the No Man's Land scenario. I won the first 2 games of the day handily thanks to early game template attacks that set the stage for major advantages.

High Exemplar Kreoss
On to game 3. Jon and I have played many games in multiple systems and I always enjoy the challenge and camaraderie. His Menoth is a brick. He plays his Kreoss like I play Kreoss. 2 Heavies, 3-4 Lights and Cinerators (I use Bastions). Its a brick of flame-spewing death. I knew I had an uphill battle.

I moved into position quickly and took a chance to take out a flank of light jacks. The first charge found me getting a Repulsor Shield pushing me back (shame on me for not knowing or asking what a Blessing of Vengeance has.) Not only did my now pushed back Pureblood block the charge for my Feral to his other jack, but now I knew that I could only get one hit in. Fire ensued.

Blessing of Vengeance
Jon continued to burn me to a crisp as I crumbled to just a fraction of my force. I was punchy, it was late and we had an audience. We were all joking, but I was taking one of the worst beatings I've faced. Then it happened. Jon moved his last jack around some terrain and left it only half-way in No Man's Land. Turn to me. Without considering the consequences or reminding him of the scenario (which I always try to do,) I took my turn and ended the game. The second I said it, I regretted it. What a weak victory.

I know that its not my responsibility to remind my opponent about the rules or help out and give advice, but I am the veteran player in the group. I let my poor demeanor and my failing self esteem take over. What a jerk. I will not make that mistake again. Here is to good sportsmanship and the camaraderie that builds competitive and confident players. May one bad day be a lesson and a reminder of what we're really there for. Having fun with our models and each other.

4 comments:

  1. "I was punchy, it was late and we had an audience." These things can make any of us a little sour on sportsmanship, it happens. It is always good to address it though!

    I find the best way to keep from getting into this state is to see the game as a story. I enjoy narrative a lot, regardless of whether I'm on the receiving end of the beating.

    Good post. Needs some pics from the event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan, we've played late. It was all in good fun and everyone was laughing and being the same way. Just the look on Jon's face for making a silly mistake after totally controlling the game, is a face I know all to well. I've been there and done that. It just feels crappy.

      Also, narratives are fun. I just have trouble applying them to scenarios I don't like =P

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't call it weak. He lost track of the objective after getting overzealous with his combat victories.

    Keeping your eye on the goal has always been a weakness in our group. The fact that I went around and made sure to tell every one about being COMPLETELY WITHIN the objective zone made his blunder that much more of a solid victory for you in my eyes. In most games you win by making less errors than your opponent. You may have took a beating, but you maintained tactical awareness. Your opponent did not and it cost him.

    You did him and the others a favor really. Next session I bet everyone will be completely within their scoring zones. You may have felt bad about it, but in reality you just upped every ones game.

    Well played indeed good sir!

    (And watching the smug, "I just rocked you" smile turn into an "OH CRAP I WENT OUT LIKE A PUNK" face was PRICELESS!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still doesn't make it feel good =P. Anyway, whats the next scenario? Dual Mosh Pits(or whatever its actually called?)

      Delete